If you want to prepare for work in the construction industry and complete your high school diploma at the same time, you can do both with our Adult Learning CANSWorks Program at NSCC.
You will be able to complete the course credits you need to earn your High School Diploma, along with the essential hands-on skills and work experience to gain employment in a range of entry level construction positions such as Concrete Finisher, Asphalt Technician, Heavy Civil Construction, Drywall Finisher, General Labourer, Concrete Forming, Reinforcing Steel Rod Person and Restoration Stone Work.
In this program you gain valuable on-the-job work experience, up-to-date safety skills and training required for construction sites, and fundamental construction skills required for entry-level positions. In addition, this program prepares you with skills in critical thinking, professionalism, communication and teamwork, enabling you to be a valuable member of a construction crew.
The CANSWorks program is a partnership between the Construction Association of Nova Scotia, Department of Labour and Advanced Education, the Nova Scotia School of Adult Learning and NSCC.
- Applicants must be 19 years of age or older.
- Applicants must be out of school for at least 1 year and have not previously completed a high school diploma.
- Applicants must be Nova Scotia residents who have permanent resident, refugee with protected person, or Canadian citizen status.
- Applicants must be assessed to have the level IV pre-requisite skills or completed credits at the grade 10 level or equivalent (ex. ALP Level III or GED).
An additional requirement for your participation in this program is a statement of understanding which you must review and sign before starting the program. This statement describes the work and learning environment and outlines what is expected of students to achieve success in the program and on the job. Details are provided with your acceptance notification from NSCC – CANSWorks Statement of Understanding
Why choose CANSWorks?
- You benefit from a hands-on approach to learning.
- You’ll learn the most-up-to-date safety skills and fundamental construction trades skills required to work in a variety of entry level commercial construction trades environments.
- Gain on-the-job work experience (up to 24 weeks) and connections to employers in the commercial construction trades.
- Gain an understanding of the construction industry and employment opportunities through presentations from employers, site visits and networking.
The CANSWorks Program qualifies you for employment in entry-level construction. Employers are looking for employees in this sector that have high school graduation diploma, accredited safety skills training and basic industry training. In addition, employers are looking for employees with an attitude of safety first as well as, professionalism and a willingness to continue to learn new skills.
- Tuition & Fees – There is no tuition for students accepted into this program. However, there are some additional program costs. Required textbooks are available for loan (at no charge to the student). Students also have the option to purchase textbooks. To help with your planning, view the detailed program costs on the NSCC website.
- Classes will begin in September 2015. After two terms of courses, work placements are scheduled to begin in April and May 2016 and will run up to 24 weeks, depending on the employer. Year two studies will resume in the Fall of 2016 and end in the Spring of 2017.
- Additional personal safety equipment is required. Some of the basic equipment will be supplied and students may be required to purchase (at discount) additional equipment, depending on the specific work placement. Students will be supported through this process by the Partners and the Project Lead.
- All mandatory ALP courses, trades electives, NS Safety Suite and Work Experience must be successfully completed in order to graduate.
- Employers will require an interview before accepting students for work placement.
- Students are required to provide their own transportation to and from the work placement.
To apply, download the CANS Works Application and submit the completed application to:
P.O. Box 220
Halifax, NS B3J 2M4
For more information, contact: Michelle Fievet – email email@example.com or call 902-468-2267 Ext. 711.