St. Mary’s Apartment Restoration Project
About this project:
This historic property is located in Inverness on the west coast of Cape Breton. The building was originally St. Mary’s Hospital, spearheaded in 1920 by Stella Maris priests Rev. Alexander L. MacDonald and Rev. John B. Kyte. The hospital opened May 24, 1925, after the Sisters of St. Martha in Antigonish sent a contingent of nursing nuns, affectionately known as the Inverness Brigade. Nearly a century later, St. Mary’s holds a food bank and nine affordable apartments.
Follow this Project: NS20-1168
The St. Mary’s Apartment Restoration Project (Phases III – V) – Stay up to date with this project on CANSnet. Subscribe to updates by adding yourself to the Plan Takers List. The closing date is July 17, 2020, at 12:00 AM AST.
Although great progress had been made in Phases I – III, some work scheduled for spring has been delayed due to COVID-19. They are working to be open for site visits at the end of June, and start major parts of the work in July and August 2020, providing the government moves forward with its plans to alleviate restrictions.
Efficiency NS and Housing NS have helped to define the remaining Scope of Work (SoW) in support of the competitive bid process. As this is now a formal ‘competitive bid process’ you may see ads soliciting bids in the local paper and the SoW posted on the tender library of Construction Association of Nova Scotia (CANS). Remaining work includes the following:
- Installation of new vinyl siding, gutter, soffit & fascia
- Asphalt shingles replacement
- Window and door replacement
- Attic, wall insulation & ventilation
- Floor repair/replacement
- Repair foundation cracks in concrete walls
- Phase II environmental assessment
Electrical and Mechanical
- Upgrade existing electrical system
- Installation of electric heaters and mini-split heat pumps
- Electrically powered stairlift
- Air Exchangers with heat recovery installation
- Installation of kitchen range & bathroom exhaust fans
- Upgrade existing plumbing system
- Domestic hot water heater replacement
- Oil tank removal
Contact a CANS Member Specialist today.
Get in touch via email or call, (902) 468-2267.
134 Eileen Stubbs Ave, Unit 103
Dartmouth, NS B3B 0A9
Monday – Friday,
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.