B.C. is in the midst of a record-breaking heat wave and while many are hitting the beaches and camping, construction crews are on the jobsite. Hard work in the hot sun can be more than unpleasant – it can be dangerous. Read more.
Despite the negative impact of low oil prices in the economy of oil producing provinces, Alberta and British Columbia registered the highest gains in investment on non-residential construction in 1Q15; 4% and 2% growth respectively. Read more.
The federal government has softened tough anti-corruption rules for companies that want to do business with Ottawa. Read more.
Join CAF-FCA for a two-day symposium on October 22 & 23 at the Delta Ottawa City Centre in Ottawa. CAF-FCA will host roundtable sessions and face-to-face networking opportunities as we share new research findings on the hottest topics in apprenticeship: demand for skilled tradespeople and the mobility of apprentices. To receive event updates, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The symposium will include opportunities to:
– Learn more about recent research to define the qualifications employers want
– Provide input on labour market intelligence related specifically to apprenticeship
– Share labour market planning strategies related to recruitment and training
– Learn about challenges identified by apprentices and employers when an apprentice moves prior to certification
– Hear how recent harmonization efforts are progressing
– Brainstorm supports and solutions to facilitate apprentice mobility
Promoting skilled trades careers to youth, parents and educators remains an important priority among apprenticeship stakeholders. CAF-FCA convened a roundtable on May 28, 2015 in Saskatoon to provide insight into the objectives, approaches and design of youth apprenticeship programs in different parts of the country. Discussion encouraged participants to identify ways they can support youth apprenticeship programs, maximizing the impact of these programs as a pathway into the trades. A report on the event is now available, along with a host of related resources. Read more.