Labour Force for July 2022: Market Trends and Survey Results
The following statistics were released by the Economics and Statistics Division on August 5, 2022. Full statistics are available, click the following links to find more information: ‘Labour Force Survey, July 2022’; ‘Labour Market Trends, July 2022’; ‘Labour Force Survey: Visible Minorities, July 2022’
In Nova Scotia,
- Labour force decreased 4,400 (-0.9%) to 511,100
- Employment increased 1,600 (0.33%) to 481,100
- Unemployment decreased 5,900 (-16.4%) to 30,000
- Unemployment Rate decreased 1.1 percentage points to 5.9%
- Nova Scotia’s seasonally adjusted employment increased 1,600 (+0.3%) from June 2022 to 481,100 in July 2022.
- The change in employment was attributable to higher part-time employment (+1,000) as well as a smaller gain in full-time employment (+600). These changes include variations in hours within the same job.
- With rising employment stable and falling labour force, Nova Scotia’s unemployment rate declined from 7.0% in June 2022 to 5.9% in July 2022. This is the lowest unemployment rate in monthly labour force survey records dating back to 1976, though lower unemployment rates were recorded in the early 1970s.
- Nova Scotia’s labour force participation rate was down 0.7 percentage points to 60.8% in July 2022. The employment rate was stabled at 57.2% in July 2022.