NEWS — CANS Wins 2020 CCA Partner Association Award of Excellence!
CANS wins CCA Partner Association Award of Excellence
Dartmouth, NS – (03/24/2021) The Construction Association of Nova Scotia is celebrating its latest accomplishment – winning the Canadian Construction Association’s 2020 Partner Association Award of Excellence.
“Since our inception 159 years ago, our members have played an integral role in shaping the work we do and services we offer, helping to ensure both CANS and the construction industry are positioned for future success,” says CANS president and CEO, Duncan Williams. “The recognition of this award is an incredible opportunity to proudly showcase on a national level our achievements and the work we have done on behalf of our members and the industry.”
The CCA’s awards program recognizes the important contributions of individuals, organizations and projects that promote and enhance the Canadian construction industry, whether through innovation, projects, or dedication to the industry.
The CCA Partner Association Award of Excellence recognizes CCA integrated partner associations who have demonstrated outstanding leadership in industry enhancement, education, and member recruitment. The criteria for the Partner Association of the Year award looks at Association programming and accomplishments that address the areas of industry enhancement, education and membership recruitment. Some highlights from CANS 2019/2020 fiscal year include:
- Working on behalf of members on public policy that affects the industry, most notably: Prompt Payment and the Builders’ Lien Act, Red Tape Reduction, Procurement, and Community and Social Benefits Agreements.
- CANS response to COVID-19, included providing a critically important voice to government to advocate for the health and safety of our members and the construction industry, and pivoting our services to ensure as little disruption as possible for members – we quickly adapted to offer members virtual signing of Statutory Declarations and remote on-boarding’s.
- The appointment of a second female chair to CANS board of directors in the Association’s 158-year history, Victoria Stanhope.
- All of CANS’ education and training courses are Gold Seal accredited to help members become Gold Seal Accredited. In 2019, CANS also took home the CCA Gold Seal Association Award of Excellence.
- Courses were delivered in several formats including workshops, seminars, e-learning sessions, and private and custom training. Due to the global pandemic, CANS education team had to quickly through a variety of free, on-demand industry webinars, engaging industry experts on topics ranging from working at home to guiding businesses through COVID-19.
- During the hardest hit pandemic months (March to June 2020), CANS was able to grow our membership by 30 new companies. Our numbers remained strong resulting in over a 90% renewal rate, on par with previous years.
- In 2019, CANS implemented our Long-term Member Awards, recognizing members who have held consecutive membership for 50 years or more.
- CANS created an online resource to ensure members and industry stakeholders were up to date on impacts of COVID-19 and their businesses.
“On behalf of CANS, I would like to thank our staff, Board of Directors, committee members, volunteers, and entire CANS membership for their continued support and commitment to the enhancement of the construction industry in Nova Scotia,” concludes Williams.
CCA Virtually Unstoppable Celebration – Partner Award Video
Watch a video of the award being presented by Nikki C. Keith, Principal (CAIB), as well as CANS acceptance speech, given by Victoria Stanhope, CANS Chair (Stanhope-Simpson Insurance). For more information on why CANS won the 2020 CCA Partner Association Award, click here.
Congratulations from the Canadian Construction Association
“As president of our national association, I am aware of how quickly our world changed and how our members relied on their local associations to continue to provide the information they needed to carry on their essential work. Moving your Commissioner of Oaths services online so quickly, and continuing to meet one-on-one with your members and new members through virtual means, demonstrates your ability to respond quickly and efficiently – qualities that will serve your association (and your members) well in the future.”
Partner Association Award Background
The CCA Partner Association Award of Excellence was created in 1992 in memory of Jake Thygesen. The award recognizes CCA integrated partner associations who have demonstrated outstanding leadership in industry enhancement (through lobbying, government relations, etc.), education and member recruitment.
Looking for information about CANS Membership?
902-468-2267 ext. 717