March 18, 2020
March 18, 2020 — 6:00 PM
Premier Stephen McNeil, chief medical officer of health Dr. Robert Strang, and Health and Wellness Minister Randy Delorey provided an update earlier today, March 18. A recording of the news conference is available on the NS Gov Youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/nsgov.
Details of additional measures announced to further prevent the spread of COVID-19 and increase capacity within the health system to respond are outlined below:
- doctors and pharmacists have new options for virtual care, using telephone and secure videoconferencing
- pharmacists can renew prescriptions for most medications and government will cover the assessment fee
- employers cannot require a doctor’s note if an employee must be off work
- College of Physicians and Surgeons waiving the fee for retired doctors to renew their licences so they can come back to work
- retired and other nurses are being brought into the system to assist with 811 staffing
- all service providers funded through the Department of Community Services’ Disability Support Program – including social enterprises, day programs, and supported employment programs for adults with diverse abilities – will close to participants and the public
Effective midnight, Thursday, March 19:
- personal service and fitness establishments such as hair salons, barbershops, spas, nail salons, body art establishments and gyms must shut down
The full news release is available at: https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20200318004 and in French at: https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20200318005.
NSHA and IWK have further restricted visitors and instituted other measures like online mental health supports and more assessment centres. More information is available at the links below:
A number of new resources have been developed for businesses and individuals, including:
- Prevent the spread of COVID-19 (printable poster) – https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/COVID-19-Prevention-EN.pdf
- Information on how to self-isolate (fact sheet) – https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/Self-Isolation-Information-for-Travellers-EN.pdf
- Information on social distancing (fact sheet) – https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/Social-Distancing-EN.pdf
These materials are also available in French: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/fr/
As announced earlier today, Nova Scotia has 12 cases of COVID-19, including nine presumptive and three confirmed cases. The news release is available at: https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20200318001 and in French at https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20200318002.
We encourage you to share this information with your staff, board members and stakeholders. We also ask for your support on social media by sharing accurate information from the Department of Health and Wellness and Nova Scotia Government social media channels.
Follow them @nsheath and @nsgov on Twitter and https://www.facebook.com/NovaScotiaHealthAndWellness/and https://www.facebook.com/nsgov/ on Facebook.
Thank you for your interest and support.