CANS Construction Workforce Summit
February 15, 2023 | Halifax Convention Centre
Join the Construction Association of Nova Scotia (CANS) for the Construction Workforce Summit, which will take place on February 15, 2023, at the Halifax Convention Centre.
This one-day event will include educational sessions focused on helping industry tackle workforce challenges, skillfully acquire talent, and develop their workforce. Following lunch, our members will take over the ballroom and welcome curated and qualified job seekers for an industry-specific job fair! Connect directly with job seekers actively seeking work in construction and the trades.
Event Schedule —
8:00 a.m., Doors Open
9:00 a.m. – 12 p.m., Education Sessions
- Session One: Industry Level Set – Construction Labour Forecasts and Trends
- Session Two: Managing Your Human Resources During a Labour Shortage and a Hot Construction Market
- Session Three: Using Provincial Immigration Programs to Meet your Labour Markets Needs
12 p.m. – 1 p.m., Networking Lunch
1 p.m. – 5 p.m., Industry Job Fair / Employment Program Booths
- Looking for work? Click here to register as a job seeker for our job fair.
At 1 PM, our industry job fair will begin and job seekers will be welcomed into the Summit! Wondering who to expect at CANS Construction Workforce Summit’s industry job fair? Click here to see a list of confirmed Employer Booths and Program Booths.
Learn to Navigate Current and Future Workforce Challenges in our Morning Education Sessions
*Registration Now Open!
The Summit commences with three expert-led sessions that will prepare attendees to navigate current and trending workforce challenges for their organizations. Attendees can also build new connections with chances to network with industry colleagues over lunch and coffee breaks.
Attendee Pricing —
Admission to the morning portion of the Construction Workforce Summit includes access to all sessions, lunch, networking breaks and afternoon job fair).
- CANS Members: $195 per person
- Non-Members: $220 per person
Did you know? CANS Construction Workforce Summit’s education sessions are Gold Seal accredited!
Attend all three sessions and earn one (1) gold seal credit! If you’re in the process of obtaining your Gold Seal certification, it makes sense to attend and learn more about how to navigate current and future workforce challenges AND earn Gold Seal credit in the process. Register today!
Session One: Industry Level Set – Construction Labour Forecasts and Trends
Presenter: Bill Ferreira (Buildforce Canada)
- Learn more about the labour force trends that will impact the construction sector in Nova Scotia over the next seven years
- Gain insight about future trends that may impact your future recruitment efforts
- Boost your knowledge of federal apprenticeship development incentives for employers.
Looking to learn more about our speaker? Click here to view Bill’s bio.
Session Two: Managing Your Human Resources During A Labour Shortage And A Hot Construction Market
Presenter: Josee Larocque-Patton (The HR ICU)
- Hiring – How the recruiting climate has changed and tips on navigating today’s market
- Retention Strategies – How to keep your people engaged and motivated
- Market compensation structures, training and development incentives, and HR trends to keep you and your business competitive.
Looking to learn more about our speaker? Click here to view Josée’s bio.
Session Three: Using Provincial Immigration Programs to Meet your Labour Markets Needs
Presenter: Ava Czapalay, Deputy Minister of the Department of Labour, Skills and Immigration
- Learn how to use provincial programs to recruit and retain employees in the construction sector
- Nova Scotia Nominee Program (NSNP) - Through the NSNP, prospective immigrants who have the skills and experience targeted by Nova Scotia may be nominated to immigrate
- Atlantic Immigration Program - The Atlantic Immigration Program is an immigration program that helps employers recruit skilled foreign workers and international graduates to meet labour needs.
Looking to learn more about our speaker? Click here to view Ava’s bio.
Download CANS Events App
Five Reasons Why You Should Download CANS Events App!
- Plan your visits: find a list of employers and their available job categories to create an action plan of who you need to connect with!
- Plot your course: do you have limited time, or want to make the most of your afternoon? Map out which booths you want to prioritize first in our floorplan and navigate the job fair like a champ!
- Make new connections: find a list of fellow attendees, request contact info and plan to meet all from the app!
- Get to know our speakers: attending our morning sessions? Get to know our expert speakers and learn more about their topics.
- Don’t miss a single moment of Summit: we’ll send announcements and agenda reminders throughout the event, so that you can focus on making new connections.
DOWNLOAD NOW: Click here to download CANS Events app.
With Thanks to our Event Partners
Meet Your Next Star Employee — Book an Employer Booth
*Exclusive — This Opportunity is for CANS Members ONLY!
Resources are tight, so make sure your hiring efforts are invested in the right spaces! CANS Construction Workforce Summit will be the first industry-specific event of its kind in Nova Scotia.
Market your organization and employment opportunities to a cohort of curated job seekers, who will be invited directly and specifically from construction-related education programs, equity groups, workforce industry groups, immigration streams and connector programs.
Employer Booth — $1,500
- One (1) 10 x 10 booth with table and two chairs
- Two (2) complimentary lunch tickets for your booth representatives
- Opportunity to bring your own event signage and branded promotional material (pending approval)
- Logo and recognition on CANS event signage (coroplast sign with company name, logo and available employment categories)
*Looking to grab even more attention? Ask us about our oversized 10 x 20 booth!
As the only construction-focused event of its kind in the Maritimes, the Summit will host a select audience primed to discover new connections and partners in the industry.
Show your support for workforce development — book your Construction Workforce Summit sponsorship today! Contact Michelle Fievet, Sponsorship Lead at email@example.com.
Need a Room for the Night?
We’ve arranged for a block of rooms to be held at the Sutton Place Hotel Halifax, conveniently located next to the Halifax Convention Centre. To book your stay, please use the link provided below, or call 1-902-932-7548 and use our group code: CANS2023.
For more information about event logistics or registration, please contact: