Monday, September 19 Marks a National Day of Mourning
The following content was sent via email to CANS Members on Thursday, September 15, 2022.
Dear CANS Members,
As you are no doubt aware, the federal and provincial governments have proclaimed Monday, September 19, 2022 as a national day of mourning to observe the passing of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.
This announcement has generated questions from our members, so we wanted to provide additional clarification as well as CANS plans for the holiday. First and foremost, CANS offices will remain open on September 19, 2022.
How will the holiday impact my business?
- Provincial government offices, public schools and regulated childcare will be closed.
- Healthcare services, appointments and procedures will remain operational across the province.
- Businesses will have the choice, as they do on other occasions, to remain open.
What if my business is federally regulated?
- Federal government offices will be closed.
- If you are federally regulated, businesses can choose whether to close.
This September will have three official holidays and businesses will bear additional costs for these days off. We are all still recovering from the pandemic and our industry isn’t alone in facing labour shortages and supply chain issues. In future, we would encourage government to consider the impact on businesses before setting a precedent for how we mourn as a nation.
On Monday, September 19, some businesses will close; some will remain open. We encourage you to recognize the holiday in your own way. It is your decision as a business whether you will close.
President & CEO
Construction Association of Nova Scotia