April 28 is the Day of Mourning – a day to remember those who lost their lives or were injured because of their work. The website DayOfMourning.ns.ca features a powerful new video about a young Nova Scotia man named Kyle Hickey. His tragic story, told by his family and friends, is an emotional reminder of the importance of workplace safety.
There are several ways to commemorate the Day of Mourning in your workplace:
• Visit dayofmourning.ns.ca to view a powerful new video about Kyle Hickey, a young Nova Scotian who died in a workplace tragedy in 2008, and share the video with your employees.
• Make an online tribute and encourage your employees to do the same.
• Observe a moment of silence and attend a remembrance service.
• Lower flags to half-mast.
• Follow our Day of Mourning Facebook page.
• Use the Employer Toolkit page for more ideas to commemorate this special day.
We encourage you to take a few minutes this April 28 to share Kyle’s story with your employees, and make them more aware and more focused on the importance of working safely.