The Construction Association of Nova Scotia (CANS) is an industry trade association representing the interests of contractors, suppliers and service providers throughout Atlantic Canada and across the country. We represent more than 750 large and small companies that build, renovate and restore non-residential buildings, roads, bridges and other engineering projects.
CANS is currently seeking a qualified individual to fill the term position of Events Lead (contract). This position will cover a 1 year maternity leave.
Scope and Summary of Primary Responsibilities
This position is responsible for responding to a wide range of member inquiries and in facilitating the flow of information to association members and the general public. This position is responsible for the coordination, planning and delivery of CANS special events. Achievement of strategic objectives will be measured against goals set for the organization and departmentally.
This position entails, but is not limited to the following:
- Coordinate with President and volunteer committees in order to successfully plan, deliver, attend and facilitate CANS events, including but not limited to:
- Annual General Meeting
- Annual DEICER
- Golf Tournaments
- Softball Tournaments
- Developing Executives events
- Spring Fling (Cape Breton)
- Coordinate with vendors, venue representatives and other service providers to ensure successful delivery of CANS events.
- Solicit required advertising and sponsorship revenue for CANS events to meet targets.
- Effectively deliver CANS events within determined budget parameters.
- Work with Manager, Events & Services to establish annual budget and monitor performance against said budget, strategic plan and established goals.
- CANSnet Updating event registration content on website pages
- Perform other assigned duties and special assignments.
- Relationship Management of CB members – set-up/welcome, managing accounts, retention in the form of exit surveys
- Annual Nova Scotia Construction Guide
- Soliciting / managing advertisements to meet targets
- Updating information / communicating with printer and Communications Lead
- Reports to the Manager, Events & Services.
- Works collaboratively with other departments as required.
- Builds relationships with board and committee members, business representatives and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Participates in committees and team meetings as required.
Problem Solving/Time Frame Impact:
- Provides solutions to routine questions using creative and timely problem solving skills.
- Manages multiple projects, while still meeting deadlines and producing high-quality, accurate work.
- Identifies emerging issues that impact the quality of customer experience.
- Monitors customer experience/satisfaction levels.
- Is proactive in the continued growth and retention of membership.
- Works within CANS policies, procedures and strategic plan, but has latitude in making decisions on routine tasks.
- Tracks methods and procedures in critical paths.
- Consults with the Manager, Events & Services on issues that are more complex or require senior management guidance or approval.
- Often works independently with limited supervision.
- Takes initiative to develop and cultivate those relationships with potential to further CANS strategic goals.
- Maintains a positive attitude focused on total organizational success and exceptional customer experience.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Strong attention to detail.
- Highly developed financial and time-management skills.
- Advanced computer skills. Knowledgeable in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe systems including In Design.
- The ability to effectively understand and interpret written materials.
- Exceptional communication skills, specifically the ability to produce high quality written materials.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to experiential, lifelong learning and professional development.
Experience and Education:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Business, Public Relations, Tourism Management, Marketing, or Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing.
- 3-5 years experience in event planning, customer relations, marketing, or an equivalent combination of education, training and expertise.
- Proven track record for sponsorship, advertising and event attendance sales.
- Experience in an office environment operating basic business equipment including scanners, printers, business telephones and photocopiers would be an asset.
- A demonstrated knowledge of the general structure and organization of the non-residential construction industry.
- Mostly indoor office environment.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Considerable mental and visual concentration.
- Fast-paced deadline sensitive environment.
- Occasional travel as required.
- Occasional light lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Frequent evening or weekend work as required.
- Occasional outdoor work as required.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org